DIY: 3D Mandala Name in a Frame
3D Mandalas are easy to make and are made with cardstock and cut using a cutting machine. You can find several fonts on Creative Fabrica that is Mandala-inspired. I made these sweet name frames for my family, and they adore them. You can hang them on the wall or a door and also display in your craft room. This can also be a special gift for a special person.
How to Make a 3D Mandala of your Name in a Frame
Materials you will need
- Cardstock in assorted colors of your choice
- A Cricut Maker or Cricut Explore, cutting mat, a fine point blade
- A boxed frame of your choice, size and color
- Glue and glue gun or double-sided thick tape (to raise each layer)
- Glue (for background cardstock and decorations)
- Feathers (optional)
- Lights (optional)
I purchased my frames from K Mart, in Australia, but you can buy boxed frames anyway. You can use any size depending on your project.
Steps to Layer your Mandalas
- Download the zip file for the Mandala Alphabet. This is an SVG file only
- Measure the area in your frame for your letters. Length and height
- Each letter is individual so you will need to measure carefully. Allow for letter spacing
- Choose your cardstock colors for each layer. Either mixed colors or 1 color. It’s your choice.
- Choose your decorations and background (if needed)
- Upload the file into your machine program.
- Once you have your design, follow the cutting instructions on your program.
- When all layers are cut, start with your base layer 6.
- Glue thick dots or thick double-sided tape around edge of layer 6, not allowing it to show through next layer 5. Allow to dry if glued.
- Continue gluing or taping each layer and placing on top of the previous layer.
- Top layer 1 in not raised and is glued flat onto layer 2.
- While waiting for glue to dry, start decorating frame.
- Place all letters together, glue into position in frame to complete.
How to Assemble your Mandalas
- I used my Cricut to cut the letters. Each letter has 6 layers. Each layer is a different size and style to the previous layer.
- Layers are then glued or taped one by one from the base layer to the top layer. Use any colors you like. Use as letters only, without a frame. For all the talented crafters, you can make your own frames. For the Name frames, I removed the glass and left it open, but the SEW frame has glass as I added sewing needles. I purchased the frame before cutting the letters, so I could measure the length and height.
- I bought a boxed frame and glued the letters into a name design and added all my decorations including, cardstock as a background, mini toy trains, feathers, beads, buttons, fabric, sewing needles.
- The decoration imagination is endless. You can add lights to the frame to brighten it up.
I hope you have enjoyed my tutorial and make something very special for someone. I would love to see what designs you create with this project.