Learn the best tips to position your products.Read the article
Hello, we are Creative Fabrica
By working together with crafters and designers, we provide a creative hub with the tools and content that you need for your next venture, idea or project.
The best Print on Demand sites to get started
Discover three great sites to start your POD journey.
Print on Demand (POD) is a low-risk business model that has become quite popular over the last years. This modality of dropshipping allows sellers to generate an income without assuming high costs.
As in any business, it’s good to have some previous knowledge. In our Ultimate Print on Demand Guide, you’ll find all the information you need to take into account if you consider starting a POD business.
As we’ve mentioned in the previous posts, there are two types of Print on Demand companies you can partner up with: fulfillment services and marketplaces. In today’s post, we’ll look at three Print on Demand marketplaces that can be a good option for beginners. We are only focusing on this model, as we think it’s the best way to start your POD journey.
We’re going to introduce you to three well-known marketplaces and point out some of their main advantages. If you’d like to discover which option works best for you, keep reading!
On this article:
Merch by Amazon
To get started with Merch by Amazon, you need to request an invitation. For the application process, you will have to provide your business contact information, your bank account and routing numbers, and your social security number or another tax identification document.
This invitation system was born as a response to the significant amount of sellers demanding a spot on the platform. You’ll only receive an invitation when there is space available for your store. Take into account that Merch won’t reply to your request until that is the case. There is no need to apply several times.
If your application is successful, you’ll be able to start your business. This marketplace is non-exclusive. This means that you are free to list your products in another market if you want to. You will need to be the owner of the designs that you register on the platform. If you are not the original designer, you’ll need to have a license or another document that proves that you can use these designs.
Every time a customer buys one of your products, you’ll earn some royalties. That is your margin of benefit. You can learn to calculate your fees on this page.
On this platform, shipping works the same way as on Amazon. The perks that Amazon Prime members receive apply here as well. Customers that spend more than $25 will receive free shipping.
Advantages of Merch by Amazon
- Merch by Amazon offers an extensive resources library. Here you can solve all your doubts about their content policies. We also like the straightforward explanations of their Best Practices article.
- By working with Merch, you’ll have access to Amazon’s delivery and logistics services.
- This is one of the most popular POD marketplaces, so your products will get high visibility.
- As we’ve said before, Amazon Merch is a non-exclusive marketplace. You can upload your designs to other platforms and keep selling them here.
Redbubble’s focus is to be a platform where artists can customize simple products and sell them worldwide. Becoming a seller in Redbubble is free, and you won’t need to be on a waiting list. The only condition to become a seller is to be at least 16 years old.
Even though Redbubble will be the “seller of the record,” your artwork will always belong to you. You can check the collaboration conditions in their extensive user agreement.
In Redbubble, users have total control over the price their art is sold for. The platform sets a base price to cover its service and manufacturing costs. To that base price, you add the margin you’d like to receive. The sum of both amounts makes the final price that the customer will pay.
For this base price, the company will handle the transactions, coordinate the printing, arrange for delivery, and manage all the customer service issues for you. The only things you need to do are creating your artwork, uploading it to your profile, and setting the final price.
As in every Print on Demand marketplace, respecting intellectual property is crucial here. If you are not the owner of the content that you upload, you must be able to prove that you have permission to use it and that you have all the rights required to display, reproduce, and sell the content.
Advantages of Redbubble
- Redbublle is meant to be a creative community. This platform puts into value creative artwork, so if you are an emergent artist it can be a good place to start selling your creations.
- There is no waiting list. You can start posting products whenever you want. Also, posting your designs is free.
- The marketplace’s user interface is aesthetic and intuitive.
- Redbubble’s Partner Program allows you to create and sell licensed fan art for some well-known brands. You can check all the details here.
Click here to visit Redbubble.
Spreadshirt allows you to print your ideas on quality fabrics. Here, you can acquire products with your own designs or choose from a catalog created by the community. It’s also a popular platform among those who create merchandising.
One of the biggest perks of this platform is the personalization tool. It’s straightforward! The first thing you have to do is to select a product from their catalog. They have 200+ products where you can print your designs. You’ll have total freedom to customize them. It’s possible to add a text and to edit its format. If you prefer to upload a pre-made design, it’s also possible.
The customization tool is user-friendly and intuitive. It’s perfect for beginners because it allows you to see how will your idea look like. The best part is that there is no need to log in to the platform to access this customization tool.
Even though for this article we are mainly focusing on the POD services of the marketplaces, Spreadshirt is also an interesting alternative for those who want to create custom groupware for a special occasion.
Advantages of Spreadshirt
- This platform incorporates a social layer. Their Forum is available in English, in French, and in German.
- On their YouTube channel you can find a wide range of learning resources in different languages.
- The possibility to create a design without having to log in is a great opportunity for beginners. It allows you to have an idea of what you can make without having to add your data.
- The products on the marketplace are classified by categories such as funny, geek, vintage, or even vegan. If you’d like to focus on a specific niche, this classification can be beneficial.
Be the first to know when we publish a new article. Join The Artistry newsletter now:
Every week we release new premium Graphics for free, some available for a limited time only.Continue
Get access to 1626423 Graphics as part of our Graphics subscription. Check them out now.Continue
Our discount deals are premium products for just $1. Available for 1 week only, so act fast!Continue
Check these alternatives before releasing your book.Read the article